Monday, October 1, 2012

Quem ad finem? What's the point?

Salvete omnes!

My name is Elliott Goodman.  I taught Latin to almost 200 6th, 7th, 8th, 10th, 11th, and 12th graders from 2007 to 2012.  Two hundred is not that many students, seeing as some of my friends teach 100 new students each year.

Nevertheless teaching them and their learning (teaching≠learning!) was my main focus and sparked an infinite amount of questions for me - about Latin language, Roman culture, and language acquisition.

Today is the start of my fourth week of grad school at Teachers College in New York City.  I'm in an Applied Linguistics program auditing Latin classes.  My ultimate goal is to design a Latin curriculum that best serves the needs and curiosities of students using the best practices.

This blog will serve as my (narcissistic) sounding board.  I plan to post weekly about teaching, about Classics, and about Latin in the classroom.  I like making materials, so I'll post PDFs that you can use in your classrooms.  Your experiences using the materials with students will be invaluable - please tell me what you think!

I hope my ramblings can be of use to you.  Cura ut valeas.

No comments:

Post a Comment